Sunday, March 25, 2012

Garden Update: Week 3

Four of the eight potato plants are growing strong! I was really not expecting that to happen. Hopefully, there will be little potatoes underground by May.  The radishes continue to grow mature leaves. The herbs look good. The carrots, lettuce, and onions are slowly getting bigger, but I did plant them late in the season. It might get too hot pretty soon. Several of my friends said they haven't had luck with growing peppers, but I put in a green/ orange sweet pepper. We'll see! I don't know how the eggplant will do either.
radishes and herbs

green sweet pepper, eggplant, lettuce, and potato

another view of herbs and radishes

radishes

new - potato sprouts

first potato to break ground

We keep a net over it to keep out the armadillo, bunnies, and raccoons. I ordered a summer weight row cover to replace the netting. I hope the cover will help prolong the growing season, before it gets unbearably hot. It should also help block out insects. Right now, we have a spider mite problem. I am thinking about spraying horticultural oil, which is effective and safe. The last thing I want is the plants to get destroyed by pesky insects, yet I want to keep this garden organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment