Friday, June 15, 2012

The Dairy Farm in Krum

My friend, Robin, called me last minute to go to a very small dairy farm in Krum. The farmer sells milk, eggs, and meat right off her front porch. Robin, Stella, Evie, and I loaded up the CRV and made the trek up 35E in rush hour traffic. That wasn't planned well! The girls had fun playing in the backseat. Robin and I had good conversation, so it wasn't too bad! The second we parked at the farm, Evie really didn't want to have anything to do with the animals. It was too much for her! Chickens were running around the property unpinned to eat the grasshoppers and other bugs that come out in the evening. Most of the time I carried Evie. There were a few minutes where she would walk around, but not more than a foot away from me!

Robin visits this farm monthly to purchase whole milk from grass-fed cows that have not been treated with antibiotics or hormones. The grass has not been treated with pesticides, so it's some of the very best fresh milk one can get. Customers have to sign up for the milk, so I didn't buy any. But anyone can buy the eggs! Stella and Evie picked some eggs right out of the chicken coup. They watched the farmer rinse the eggs with water and sort them into egg cartons to be sold. They even helped fill the egg cartons. For all their hard work, they each got a half dozen carton to take home. The eggs are just as fresh as the milk. The chickens are grass fed and roam the land of the farm eating grubs and insects (a chicken's natural diet), which makes beautiful eggs. The yolk is reddish orange, not yellow like the ones from the store. How I wish I could eat off a farm more often! The quality is so much healthier and pure.






The bottom egg is from the farm. The top one is Costco's organic free range grain fed.
I never realized there was such a huge difference in the color of the yolk. 
It's a good reminder that farm fresh free range grass-fed is always better!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! The difference in color is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete