Sunday, November 25, 2012

One Thousand Gifts

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. For his lovingkindness is everlasting. Psalm 107:1

Far before November rolled around I started reading a book called, "One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are" by Ann Voskamp. I started reading it to gain inspiration and joy in the little things in life. At the time my heart was pretty heavy with grief, fear, uncertainty, waiting... I'm not a very consistent reader, so I am still in the "middle" of the book. The author writes about her journey in faith in taking gratitude in all things in life- to give thanks to God in ALL things- trials, joys, sadness, distress, celebrations- ALL things. By the end of the book the author has created a list of 1,000 things she is thankful for. In her journey of noticing these things in her life more fully, she sees that God's grace can't be fully attained without a heart of gratitude.

So here are some things I'm particullarly grateful for, in no particular order. I'm not to 1,000.

  • Everything about Evie- her smile, curiosity, all the songs she makes up, her joyful dancing, her kisses & laughs, her day to day ramblings of who her best friends are.
  • Judd loving me and taking care of me when I'm pregnant sick. His music talent. His curiosity. Ability to reason.
  • Seeing my babies' heart beat on an ultrasound.
  • My parents moving to Texas. It's so nice to have them close. I don't ever want to be far away from them again.
  • Music- The happiness and freedom it brings to my spirit. The fun it brings to my family.
  • My church family, for discipling me. Our small group friends who have been with us through stuff over the past 5 years.
  • Spending time with family that lives so far away. Our time together during visits is so remembered.
  • Having a job where I can inspire young minds.
  • The last dream I had with my brother in it (after he had passed)- My brother and I spent the day at a water park. It was my last chance to "play" with him. Almost closure. A good bye for now.
  • Friends
  • Living in a big city with so many opportunities.
  • Being a parent.
  • Taking a run on a crisp cool day in the sunshine.
  • Seeing nature's  beauty in the Rocky Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment